Tuesday, May 1, 2018

TELL ME TUESDAY #195 + DEWEY'S READ-A-THON WRAP-UP

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
DEWEY'S READ-A-THON WRAP-UP
NUMBER ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY-FIVE
TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!



Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Michelle from IN LIBRIS VERITAS
Kwante from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!



LAST WEEK'S TMT





I read this for DEWEY'S 24 HOUR READ-A-THON on Saturday; all 1K+ pages of it in 22.5 hours as an audiobook on 2X and 3X speeds. 2X speed is normally the setting I listen to a book on, so it wasn't unpleasant. I had good snacks, too...

Reading this monster of a book also helped me gain four more badges on Audible.

NIGHT OWL
HIGH NOON
WEEKEND WARRIOR
MOUNT EVEREST


A big part of the read-a-thon is community. The Twitter hashtag was full of photos of meals, snacks, pets, and suggestions about how to have a successful reading day...
And books, yes there were many pictures of books, which sparked responses about childhood favorites and fond memories, as well as discussions about how good, or bad, readers thought certain books were. Ha ha. People were telling us where they were reading, a lot of people were reading in the bath.

Groups were getting together in restaurants, and families were doing the read-a-thon together.
There were hourly prizes and mini-challenges with giveaways. This year the challenges were open until the end of the read-a-thon. I didn't know this, so next time I will be sure to enter. I also liked the fact that it was total pages read this time and not books. Almost 566,000 pages were read and almost 3,000 books, but I bet it actually surpassed those numbers because many people didn't know where the input page was. It took me awhile, but I just found it today.
The next one is October 20th, so mark your calendars and join me! Just make sure you have a stash of yummy food or pizza delivery on speed dial because the photos of food people post will have you craving and drooling. Ha ha.


I haven't rated or reviewed this anthology on Goodreads yet, but it will be a solid three stars. The last two or three stories were very good and pulled it up from two stars. There were a couple of stories that I felt were thrown in for volume and they were just dreadful. She also relied to much on cheesy overblown gore in most of the stories, which is an amateur approach in my opinion. I will be looking out for more of her work because the last couple of stories were really promising.


YOUNG ADULT
FANTASY
EMPERIUM SERIES #1
Publishes May 22, 2018 - Netgalley
I knee-jerk requested this because of the primo cover, but after reading the Goodreads summary I was wary. I am off royal court and fighting for kingdom and crown storylines. I was pleasantly surprised when I first started reading because it seemed like it was going to be more about magic than fighting, but alas, that changed. I am just not into battle/fighting/assassin themes much anymore. A book can have them, but not a lot of them.

MIDDLE GRADE
STANDALONE
CONTEMPORARY
VERSE FORM
FAMILY
This is a way back ARC... it published in August of 2016. Yikes!

What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.